This has been an afternoon of releases, but not all of them are equally important. A few minutes ago we echoed the launch of Blender 2.80, an update so important that they even say it is a "new beginning", this afternoon, the KDE Community released plasma 5.16.4, a maintenance update of your graphical environment, and now it is the turn of Chrome 76, a new version of the most used desktop web browser on the planet.
The new version is Chrome 76.0.3809.87 and it comes with some interesting news. The first of them has to do with dark mode, and that is that support has been introduced for the dark mode of web pages. This means that, in the same way that the browser automatically goes dark if we have a dark theme activated on our computer, if we activate this option in Chrome we will see all the web pages that include support in their dark version.
Other new features included in Chrome 76
- New improvements in the payments API to allow sales websites to respond when a user changes the payment system.
- Improved support for PWAs (Progressive Web Apps).
- Possibility of controlling the mini-information screen «Add to start».
- It no longer treats the ESC key as a user activation.
- New HTTP request header to mitigate certain types of attacks based on server response time, such as XSS leaks.
- Many new tools for web developers.
Chrome 76 has been released a few minutes ago, so it is already available since your download website y has started to appear via OTA. This means that users who already have it installed will still have to wait a few minutes / hours for the update to appear. On the other hand, Chromium 76, the open source version on which Chrome is based, has also been released this afternoon.