In the next article we are going to take a look at Drawpile. This program has released its version 2.1.11 recently. Is about a free online drawing program that allows multiple people to draw on the same image simultaneously. It supports the OpenRaster image file format. Thanks to this it works well with applications like MyPaint, Krita o GIMP.
Drawpile will provide us with a wide variety of tools. Among them we can highlight those that will help us manage collaborative sessions. We may block or mute individual users and layers or allow access by user. We will also have the option to restrict certain functions of the application, such as image uploads, layer management and the creation of text boxes, as we are interested.
With these open source drawing software, we can make sketches and share them in a simple way. We will be able to draw with a pixel pencil or with different types of brushes. These we will be able to organize them in presets and quick access tabs. We will also be able to use a dedicated eraser tool or turn any brush into an eraser.
Drawpile 2.1.11 general features
- This program can be run both in Gnu / Linux, Windows and OSX.
- In this new version, in addition to bug fixes, a feature long awaited by many users was added. It's about the ability to put the chat box in a separate window.
- This is a drawing program that will allow us share a canvas with other users in real time.
- We can share our drawing board with him embedded server or connect to a dedicated server.
- The registered user bans They are no longer IP bans.
- Fixed the brush color, as well as the wrong layer when moving the selection.
- La list and order of session of the join dialog, they are now remembered.
- On the server side, op and trust status are now remembered by the user's account, instead of the user's name.
- We will be able record, replay and export drawing sessions.
- We will find in the program compatibility with the simple animation.
- We will also find layers, blending modes, and text layers.
- Supports Wacom tablets pressure sensitive.
- Supports file format Open Raster.
- Encrypted connections using SSL.
- Automatic port forwarding with UPnP.
- The client now refuses to autoconfigure if they know they are not fully up to date yet.
These are just a few features available in this new version. To know all the corrections and characteristics of this program, they can be consulted in the section from news of the project website.
Install Drawpile 2.1.11 on Ubuntu
For, Ubuntu 18.04 and higher, the software can be installed through flatpak. To do this we will only have to open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and install Flatpak first:
sudo apt-get install flatpak
Once the installation is finished, in the same terminal, we will add Flathub repository through the command:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
At this point, we can install Drawpile from the same terminal, using the following command:
flatpak install flathub net.drawpile.drawpile
Once the installation is finished, we will only have to look for the launcher on our computer and start working.
In case you have an older version installed Through the previous steps that have been described, you will only have to execute the following command in the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) to update the Drawpile package:
flatpak update net.drawpile.drawpile
In case we do not want to continue having this program on our computer, we can choose to uninstall it using the following command in the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T):
flatpak uninstall net.drawpile.drawpile
As support and to resolve doubts, on the project website you can find a help section. For more information about this program, you can consult the page on GitHub. Its developers say that any help is always appreciated.