The release of the new version of Elementary OS 7, in which a large number of important improvements and changes have been made.
Elementary OS 7 continues the work of the project's focus on quality design, aimed at creating an easy-to-use system that consumes minimal resources and provides high startup speed.
Table of Contents
Main new features of Elementary OS 7
In this new version of Elementary OS 7 the application installation center has been modernized (AppCenter), in which the page with information about programs has been expanded, added support for automatic updating of Flatpak packages, ensured installation of system updates on reboot, support for third-party repositories (Flathub), completely redesigned navigation, and implemented an adaptive interface, adaptable to different screen sizes.
Another change that stands out is thate Improved “Comments” app to send feedback to developers about problems and wishes for expansion of functionality: reduced startup time, provided a call from the application menu, optimized the interface for small screens, application selection, settings and desktop components have been simplified.
The installer reduced the number of screens the user must go through before installing and expanded the information needed to make decisions in preparation for installation. In the initial setup wizard, it is easier to switch to using the right mouse button for normal clicks and a screen is displayed when there is no network connection.
In the Epiphany web browser (GNOME Web 43), we have implementedo support for web applications in PWA format (Progressive Web Apps), in addition to providing the ability to install websites as a web application, place its shortcut in the application menu and start the web application in a separate window, similar to conventional programs.
Another of the apps ported from GNOME 43 is el Document viewer and archiver with improved compatibility with dark themes and have replaced the file selection dialog.
The player of music has been completely rewritten, redesigned with a view to convenient work with music streaming services, as well as making it easy to add songs to a queue, work with a local collection, and play individual files.
Of the other changes that stand out:
- Added new screens to the Onboarding app to enable automatic delivery of updates, periodically remove outdated downloads and temporary files, switch to a dark theme at certain times,
- The design of the mail client has been redesigned. Implemented support for Microsoft 365 accounts.
- The file manager has a mode that allows you to select directories with one click, instead of two.
- The layout of the printer settings has been changed, a button for clearing the print queue has been added, and the display of information about the level of ink in the cartridges has been improved.
- The volume control applet implements the output of a separate indicator for a normal video player.
- Updated configurator.
- An interface for managing energy profiles has been added, through which you can, for example, activate profiles for maximum performance or battery saving.
- Changed the layout of the screen to configure hotkeys.
- Added an option to prevent the connection of new USB devices during screen lock.
- Updated network connection settings and network activity indicator, now supporting WPA3.
- Provided the ability to update the firmware in offline mode.
- Enabled performance optimizations aimed at improving interface responsiveness and reducing the execution time of various operations.
Finally if you want to know more about this new version system, you can check the details in the original post. The link is this.
Download Elementary OS 7
Finally, if you want to download and install this Linu distributionx on your computer or you want to test it under a virtual machine. You just have to go to the official website of the distribution and in its download section you can get the system image.
Be the first to comment