As scheduled, Mozilla today made the launch of Firefox 82. And no, it is not that it has published a release or release note, it never does, it is already available, both from its website and to update, as we will explain at the end of this article. It may seem like a minor release, in part because they include fewer features since releasing a new version every four weeks, but there are notable new features.
The official list of news is available from this link, but during the development of Firefox 82 there has been talk of interesting changes. Specifically two, the first being an improvement that will make playing online titles better, which adds to the hardware acceleration of the earlier version, and the other related to new extension system that would make it easier for developers to bring theirs from Chrome to Firefox. Below you have the list of news that Mozilla has mentioned to us.
What's new in Firefox 82
- The Picture-In-Picture button has a new look and position, making it easier to find and use the function.
- Picture-In-Picture now has a keyboard shortcut for Mac users (Option + Command + Shift + Right Bracket) that works before you start playing the video.
- For Windows users, Firefox now uses DirectComposition for hardware decoded video, which will improve CPU and GPU usage during video playback, improving battery life.
- Firefox is faster than ever with improved performance in both page loads and startup time.
- Restoring a session is 17% faster, which means you can pick up where you left off more quickly.
- For Windows users, opening new windows was made faster by 10%.
- You can now explore new articles when saving a web page to Pocket from the Firefox toolbar.
- WebRender continues to roll out to more Firefox users on Windows.
- Paragraph reporting screen reader features now correctly report paragraphs in Firefox instead of lines.
- Automatic credit card filling is now more accessible with the card type, and the card number in the card editor is now available to screen readers.
- Invalid form input print dialog errors are now reported to screen readers.
- MediaSession API has been enabled by default, allowing web authors to provide custom behaviors for standard media playback interactions, giving them more options than ever.
- DevTools now displays server-side events in the Network panel. This allows a server to send new data to a web page at any time, allowing developers to see events that they could not before and help with troubleshooting of lower level.
As we have explained, Firefox 82 It is now available, which means we can download it from your web page or update it from the same browser if we use Windows, macOS or the binary version. Users who are working with the version offered by the official repositories of our Linux distribution will still have to wait a little longer, from a few minutes in some distributions to a couple of days in others.