I haven't personally tested it, so I don't know if Plasma 5.23, which is the "25th Anniversary Edition," will be a really big release or will just get that name because the dates coincide. What is true and confirmed is that the KDE project will release Plasma 5.23 in the middle of this month, which they have already launched the beta and that right now they are focusing on putting the finishing touches.
So he tells us Nate Graham in his weekly post on pointieststick.com, where many of the points he mentions end with the name of a developer next to the next version of the graphical environment in which he collaborates. As new functions we have only advanced one today, that Konsole will allow us to change the color scheme of the application itself regardless of the color scheme of the entire system, something that will arrive in the December edition of KDE Gear. Below you have the rest of the list of future changes.
Table of Contents
Bug fixes and performance improvements coming to KDE
- A split view opened in Dolphin no longer closes randomly when the function to remember the status of the last closed window is activated or deactivated (Eugene Popov, Dolphin 21.08.2).
- In Plasma Wayland:
- Quick user switching now works (Vlad Zahorodnii and Xaver Hugl, Plasma 5.23).
- KWin no longer crashes sometimes when certain applications show context menus and other pop-ups (Vlad Zahorodnii, Plasma 5.23).
- KWin no longer crashes when logging out so frequently (Vlad Zahorodnii, Plasma 5.23).
- Dual monitor setups where they both display the same output are now correctly detected in the Display and Monitor page of System Preferences (Xaver Hugl, Plasma 5.23).
- KWin no longer crashes when waking up for NVIDIA GPU users (Vlad Zahorodnii, Plasma 5.23).
- Inactivity detection for automatic screen lock now works much more reliably (Méven Car, Plasma 5.24).
- Discover can be used again to uninstall applications after an unexpected change in the PackageKit library that uses it broke it (Antonio Rojas, Plasma 5.23).
- Keyboard layouts marked "spare" in System Preferences can now be changed using the applet's context menu (Andrey Butirsky, Plasma 5.23).
- All items in the System Preferences sidebar are now visibly highlighted when hovering over (Nate Graham, Plasma 5.23).
- It is no longer possible to view the hidden items tooltip on the Discover Updates page while loading / refreshing the list of updates (Fushan Wen, Plasma 5.23).
- On the Activity Settings page, the "Define special behavior" combo box no longer shows duplicate entries (Oleg Solovyov, Plasma 5.23).
- Searching in Discover now works much more reliably, especially when searching immediately after launching the application. Checking for updates is also much faster. (Aleix Pol González, Plasma 5.24).
- The Window Rules window accessed from a window's context menu (and other System Preferences pages displayed independently in their own windows) correctly display their content / footer control again (Ismael Asensio , Frameworks 5.87).
- Discover is now faster to load the initial content of any of the Addons categories (Aleix Pol Gonzalez, Frameworks 5.87).
- The KTimeTracker icon is now displayed correctly (Manuel Jesús de la Fuente, Frameworks 5.87).
Improvements in the user's interface
- When using session restore, Spectacle no longer launches at login if it was open during the last logout (Ivan Tkachenko, Spectacle 21.12).
- Now showing thumbnails of .cbz comic files containing WEBP format images (Mitch Bigelow, Dolphin 21.12).
- More thumbnails are now displayed for video files (Martin Tobias Holmedahl Sandsmark, Dolphin 21.12).
- Elisa no longer sometimes shows a white line below the top header area with certain window sizes (Fushan Wen, Elisa 21.12).
- The Home and End keys now navigate to the first and last items (respectively) in the KRunner results view pop-up when the search field is not in focus (Alexander Lohnau, Plasma 5.24).
- Windows centered using KWin's 'Centered' window placement method or the 'Move Window to Center' action now take the thickness of Plasma panels into account when calculating the available area to center windows (Kristen McWilliam, Plasma 5.24 ).
- The System Preferences keyboard page now respects the "Show modified settings" function (Cyril Rossi, Plasma 5.24).
- There are now 22x22px versions of Breeze's preference icons, which should make those icons look better wherever they are displayed at that size, such as in the System Preferences sidebar (Manuel Jesús de la Fuente, Frameworks 5.87).
When will all this come
Plasma 5.23 is coming October 12. KDE Gear 21.08.2 will be released on October 7, and although there is no specific date for KDE Gear 21.12 yet, it is known that we will be able to use it in December. KDE Frameworks 5.87 will be released on October 9. Plasma 5.24 still has no scheduled date.
To enjoy all this as soon as possible we have to add the KDE Backports repository or use an operating system with special repositories like Kde neon or any distribution whose development model is Rolling Release, although the latter usually take a little longer than the KDE system.