This week, KDE has released the Plasma 5.25 beta. It will arrive with many interesting new features, such as the possibility of choosing the accent color according to the wallpaper or a lower panel that can be floating, but the final touches still have to be made. That's what betas are released for, and the this week's article at KDE it's been titled “We don't like bugs too much” because that's what they've done most of the last seven days.
Between the bugs fixed for Plasma 5.25, there have been four of the so-called fifteen minute bugs, those bugs that can appear very soon and that have been targeted by KDE. Since they released this, shall we say, sub-initiative, they have corrected around 20 of these bugs, which are nothing more than bugs, but which attract attention. Therefore, with each version of Plasma it is more difficult to find gross bugs.
As new features only one has been brought forward: now you can set an alternate calendar to be displayed within the main calendar, allowing you to keep track of dates in both calendars at once (Fushan Wen, Plasma 5.26).
Table of Contents
15 minute bugs fixed
La account has dropped from 68 to 63; 5 have been corrected and no new ones have been found:
- The screen locker no longer fails to display its interactive UI elements under certain circumstances (David Edmundson, Plasma 5.25).
- The screen locker can now be unlocked if the user account does not have a password set (David Edmundson, Plasma 5.25).
- With an auto-hide Panel, right-clicking on a Widget and clicking "Show Alternatives..." now works (Niccolò Venerandi, Plasma 5.25).
- All System Preferences and Info Center modules are now right-click accessible again in Kickoff (Alexander Lohnau, Plasma 5.25).
- The 2rd party "WeatherWidget5.95" widget works again when any XNUMXrd party system monitoring widget is also used (Arjen Hiemstra, Frameworks XNUMX).
Bug fixes and performance improvements coming to KDE
- Dolphin is now more reliable for downloading and installing new context menu services (Alexander Lohnau, Dolphin 22.04.2).
- Elisa's playlist sidebar is once again keyboard navigable, and now it works even better than before and you can fully reach and activate all the controls for each item in it (Tranter Madi, Elisa 22.08).
- The Plasma Styles page of System Preferences redisplays the Plasma styles we have installed (Fushan Wen, Plasma 5.24.6, and distros have been asked to backport it to Plasma 5.24.5 as well).
- The "Shutdown" and "Restart" buttons are again visible in the full-screen App Dashboard launcher (Amy Rose, Plasma 5.24.6).
- When the system is shut down, the kded background process now exits gracefully instead of being abruptly terminated, allowing it to properly perform cleanup operations, which should fix a variety of subtle bugs all over the place (Eugene Popov, Plasma 5.25 ).
- Dialog windows using CSD in GTK applications using the Breeze GTK theme now have close buttons that match the style of other windows (Artem Grinev, Plasma 5.25).
- Fixed several slightly incorrect colors in GTK apps using the Breeze GTK theme (Artem Grinev, Plasma 5.25).
- When opening the Desktop settings window, the "Wallpaper" item in the sidebar is now correctly highlighted when the rest of the window displays the Wallpaper page (Fushan Wen, Plasma 5.25).
- In the Plasma Wayland session:
- When Meta+V is pressed to show the clipboard history menu, an entry for it no longer appears in Task Manager or the task switcher (David Redondo, Plasma 5.25).
- When one of the monitors has been rotated, when connecting a new one, the rotated ones are no longer unrotated (Aleix Pol González, Plasma 5.25).
- The cursor no longer flickers when dragging something while using the default Breeze cursor theme (Vlad Zahorodnii, Plasma 5.25).
- The drawing tablet page of System Preferences now correctly remembers what we set for the "target screen" setting (David Redondo Plasma 5.42.6).
- A wide variety of single-window KDE applications now have their existing windows brought to the front when relaunched from Kickoff, KRunner, etc (Nicolas Fella, Plasma 5.25, KDE applications version 22.08, and several others as well).
- Drag and drop in applications using XWayland now works better (David Edmundson, Plasma 5.25).
- When dragging something, the cursor now generally always changes to the correct "you can drop it here" cursor when it moves over an area that can accept the dragged thing (David Redondo, Plasma 5.25).
- When launching a single-instance application that is already running using a global shortcut or the Panorama Effect's KRunner search field, its window now pops up as expected (Aleix Pol Gonzales, Plasma 5.25 with Frameworks 5.95).
- Task Manager no longer takes up too much space when not displaying anything (Victor Pavan, Plasma 5.25).
- When using the System Preferences icon view, hovering over a home page icon no longer displays two tooltips (Ismael Asensio, Plasma 5.25).
- Column views in Kirigami no longer leak memory when navigating back and forth in them (David Edmundson, Frameworks 5.95).
Improvements in the user's interface
- When you mouse over the free space bar at the bottom of a Dolphin window, its tooltip now also tells you the disk capacity (Shubham, Dolphin 22.08).
- When using the system in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, the alphabetical ordering of apps in Kickoff now groups apps by the romanization of their names, not their first characters, which may surprise you to learn that this is something generally considered desirable by the speakers of those languages (Xuetian Weng, Plasma 5.25).
- GTK apps that use CSD and the Breeze GTK theme now better match the style of other apps: their corner radii are now the same, there's a subtle light highlight on top, and menu shadows resemble Qt/KDE menu shadows (Artem Grinev, Plasma 5.25).
- The "level bars" in applications using the Breeze GTK theme now have a nice Breezey look (Artem Grinev, Plasma 5.25).
- The System Preferences search page now has a simpler user interface to include or exclude a folder from indexing: each action simply has a button at the bottom of the page to allow you to do so (Áron Kovács, Plasma 5.25).
- The touch screen borders page of System Preferences is now only visible in the Plasma Wayland session, as the feature only works correctly in Wayland (Nate Graham, Plasma 5.25).
- On the login and lock screens, the small battery indicator icon in the corner is now a more aesthetically pleasing size and scale (Ivan Tkachenko, Plasma 5.25).
- The user switcher widget now shows a prettier round representation of your user image (Ivan Tkachenko, Plasma 5.25).
- Text for app descriptions in Discover and image metadata on the Image of the Day wallpaper settings page can now be selected and copied (Fushan Wen, Plasma 5.26).
- Scrolling through the calendar view in various Plasma widgets now does what is expected (Kai Uwe Broulik, Frameworks 5.95).
- Kirigami's collapsed sidebar "Open Sidebar" buttons now have a tooltip so you can tell what it is (Nate Graham, Frameworks 5.95).
When will this all come to KDE?
Plasma 5.25 is coming June 14, and Frameworks 5.95 will be available three days earlier, on Saturday 11th. KDE Gear 22.04.2 will land with bug fixes on Thursday 9th June. KDE Gear 22.08 does not yet have an official scheduled date. Plasma 5.24.6 will arrive on July 5, and Plasma 5.26, mentioned for the first time today, will be available from October 11.
To enjoy all this as soon as possible we have to add the repository backports from KDE or use an operating system with special repositories like Kde neon or any distribution whose development model is Rolling Release.