Among the novelties of Ubuntu 21.10 there is one that some users will not like. Canonical has removed the repository version (DEB) of Firefox to include its default snap package. Although it could have been denied, this decision has not been like that of the Snap Store; in this case it was Mozilla who proposed it, and the company that runs Mark Shuttleworth accepted. It was not mandatory for the other flavors, so Lubuntu 21.10 It has been released this afternoon and has decided to keep the same old version.
Of course, as they have explained in other release notes, and if nothing changes in the next six months, in 22.04 all Ubuntu flavors must use the snap version of Firefox by default. Separate browser theme, Lubuntu 21.10 has arrived with new features such as the graphical environment, LXQt 0.17.0 this time. It will use the same kernel and it will be supported for the same time as the rest of the Impish Indri family components.
Highlights of Lubuntu 21.10
- Linux 5.13.
- Supported for 9 months, until July 2022.
- LXQt 0.17.0 - with many improvements over 0.16. Here there is more information.
- LXQt Archiver 0.4.0 which is based on Engrampa, is now included.
- Qt 5.15.2.
- Mozilla Firefox will ship as a Debian package with version 93.0 and will receive updates from the Ubuntu security team throughout the release support cycle. If they do not change their mind, within six months they will have to switch to using the default snap version. Unlike Chromium, Firefox is expected to remain available as a DEB package beyond the transition.
- The LibreOffice Suite 7.2.1.
- VLC 3.0.16.
- Featherpad 0.17.1, for notes and code editing.
- Discover Software Center 5.22.5, for an easy and graphical way to install and update software.
Lubuntu 21.10 has been officially launched a few hours ago. The new ISO images are available on the project website, or by clicking here.