For a long time, I wanted to try Ubuntu Touch, and the best way to do it, I thought, was to buy the PineTab. I got it, I have already tried Ubuntu Touch and I have verified that it has its lights and shadows. But when I bought the PINE64 tablet and joined their discussion groups, it was funny to see how we had to take photos of the device to be able to send what was going on. This will no longer be necessary after the launch of the OTA-14 from Ubuntu Touch.
I think there is something that is not without grace. For weeks, maybe more than a month, they told me that they had script that would allow us to take native screenshots on devices whose volume buttons were not separated, such as the PineTab, where it was not possible to use the native method. To do this, the script has added a new "button" that appears when we press the off button for one second, and with that button we can take screenshots. What do I find funny? That you cannot make a screenshot to the menu to take the screenshot, so to get the image below these lines I had to use the old system: photo.
As we read in the release note, the most outstanding of the OTA-14, whose name does not match on PINE64 devices, is the following:
- Also available in the Xiaomi Redmi 4X, Huawei Nexus 6P, Sony Xperia Z4 (tablet).
- They have focused on support for Android 9, in part to help Volla Phone.
- Fixed issues closing apps by sliding them.
- Improved camera support, but hey still doesn't work on PineTab.
- External monitor support now works with HardwareComposer2.
- Improved translations.
- Changes have been made to the contacts and messages apps to make them easier to use.
- The input screen for external drives matches the image style of other apps.
- Added a button to take screenshots on the power button. This allows capturing without the keyboard, and also for those of us who have a device with the volume buttons that cannot be pressed at the same time, such as the PinePhone and PineTab.
- Fixed Bluetooth disconnection, which could happen in various cases, such as when connecting the device to a car audio system.
Ubuntu Touch OTA-14 has already been released on the stable channel, so to install it we only have to open the configuration app, go to the updates section and install the new version that will already be waiting for us.