Already fully on Christmas days, Nate Graham has set out to increase the "hype" about plasma 5.18. This will be the next LTS version of the KDE graphical environment and in the future news post this week They have published many changes that will come with her, titled the post as "It will be incredible." But when he says this he is not only talking about Plasma, but also about KDE Applications.
This week, and we cannot know if from now on they will do it more often, they have come to include 4 short videos to explain the operation of some new features, so it is worth visiting the original link if you want to see it with your own eyes . Here, like every seven days, we will include all the news that have published today, among which there are many of the graphical environment that will be launched in about two months.
Table of Contents
- Dolphin allows us to include tags in the search criteria (Dolphin 20.04.0).
- When searching in the system preferences, the results list now shows the actual matching pages (Plasma 5.18.0).
- The networks widget can now be configured to show transfer rates in Bytes (Plasma 5.18.0).
- Something they had already mentionedhere! we published it), so it is confirmed today, you can activate / deactivate Do Not Disturb mode with a keyboard shortcut (Plasma 5.18.0).
Bug fixes and performance and interface improvements in Plasma 5.x, KDE Applications and Frameworks
- Phin's SVN confirmation dialog now works again (Dolphin 19.12.1).
- Use a mouse wheel to scroll in Dolphin and file dialog boxes no longer scroll too fast when using a view with large icons (19.12.1 and Frameworks 5.66).
- Fixed a regression in the temperature text size of the weather widget when using a very short panel that was introduced a few weeks ago when trying to make the text size match identically to that of the clock widget. Now the problem is fixed and the text sizes are always identical (Plasma 5.17.5).
- When clipboard content is deleted, its last item is now actually deleted (Plasma 5.18.0).
- By changing the font size, UI elements that dynamically zoom in or out in response to font metrics now do so immediately in QML-based applications (Frameworks 5.66).
- Manually mounted NFS shares are no longer displayed twice in the Places Pane in Dolphin, file dialogs, and other applications (Frameworks 5.66).
- Dates in all KDE software no longer use ambiguous relative terms such as "Last Monday" (was it this week's Monday or before?); instead, they revert to using absolute dates three days in the past or future (Frameworks 5.66).
- In OpenSUSE, using Discover to install an application while updates are available no longer silently installs them (latest OpenSUSE PackageKit).
- It is now clear which Plasma themes fit the color scheme we are using (Plasma 5.18.0).
- The indicator of the time remaining for the notification to disappear is now circular and surrounds the close button (Plasma 5.18.0).
- Now there is a draggable icon in the notification of when a file has been downloaded that we can drag wherever we want and do other "cool" things (Plasma 5.18.0).
- Plasma now shows a notification warning when a Bluetooth device is about to drain its battery (Plasma 5.18.0).
- Task manager tips now have a highlighted effect when hovering over it (Plasma 5.18.0).
- Various places in Plasma where things can be dragged now show open and closed cursors that can be grabbed appropriately (Plasma 5.18.0).
- The networking widget no longer has two virtually identical menus on its menu. Now all-in-one has been consolidated (Plasma 5.18.0).
- Notifications that require us to enter Captive Portal for a public network are no longer duplicated under certain circumstances and disappear when we enter the network (Plasma 5.18.0).
- The small down arrows on Dolphin's back and forward buttons are now smaller and no longer cause the button to widen, which improves the appearance (Plasma 5.18.0).
When will Plasma 5.18 and everything else arrive
This week they have told us about many new features, so we will summarize this part by adding only the dates:
- Plasma 5.18: February 11th. Plasma 5.17.5 will arrive on Tuesday, January 7.
- KDE Applications 19.12.1: January 9th. The 20.04 will arrive in mid-April, but it shouldn't be in time to be included in Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa.
- KDE Frameworks 5.66: January 11.
It is important to remember that in order to install all these new features as soon as they are available we have to add the Backports repository from KDE or use an operating system with special repositories like KDE neon.