They have made the launch official later than expected, but they have not been the last. I don't know why they took so long to update their website, and, together with Kubuntu, who will do it throughout the day, they have updated the information already today, Friday October 15th. The team developing the Xfce desktop flavor has released Xubuntu 21.10, and comes with news like Linux 5.13, the core shared by the entire Impish Indri family.
The list of Xubuntu 21.10 Impish Indri news that they have provided is not very extensive, being so short that they have only included three of them as highlighted. The rest, much of the new is related to the graphical environment and the kernel, that and Firefox 93, not so much because of the new features of Mozilla's browser, but because of the type of package that is installed by default.
Xubuntu 21.10 Impish Indri highlights
- Linux 5.13.
- Supported for 9 months, until July 2022.
- Xfce 4.16.
- New Software: Now comes pre-installed with GNOME Disk Analyzer, GNOME Disk Utility, and Rhythmbox. Disk Analyzer and Disk Utility make it easy to monitor and manage your partitions. Rhythmbox enables music playback with a dedicated media library.
- Pipewire is now included in Xubuntu, and is used in conjunction with PulseAudio to improve audio playback and hardware support in Linux.
- Keyboard shortcuts: the Super (Windows) key will now reveal the applications menu. Existing Super + keyboard shortcuts are not affected.
- Libre Office 18.104.22.168.
- Firefox 93 in DEB version. If this is news, it is because Ubuntu 21.10, the major version, has switched to using the snap package by default. On 22.04, all official flavors will need to use the snap package.
At the moment, although they have updated the official page with the new information, to download the ISO from Xubuntu 21.10 you have to go to this link. On xubuntu.org they continue to offer as a newer image the one from 21.04. They will soon link to version 21.10 released yesterday and made official a few minutes ago.