Today is Sunday, and not just any Sunday. It's Palm Sunday and many of us would like to have spent it far from home, probably in the mountains, on the beach or, why not? At the home of a relative. This year that has not been possible due to the COVID-19 crisis, but the lockdown is not affecting the work that developers are doing. KDE. So, this Sunday They have published an entry full of news that will arrive in the medium term.
Like every week, Nate Graham has been in charge of publishing the article. Also as always, have released a few new features that will arrive sooner in the afternoon, three in total, one of them from Frameworks 5.70, a version of the libraries that you mentioned for the first time today, another from Plasma 5.19 and another from KDE Applications 20.08; a novelty in each type of software. Below you have the complete list of news that they have mentioned this week.
Table of Contents
New Features Coming Soon to KDE
- When kio-fuse is installed, opening the Dolphin terminal panel while browsing a remote location now works as expected (Dolphin 20.08. 0).
- It is now possible to configure the scrolling speed for mice and touchpads when using Wayland (Plasma 5.19.0).
- It is now possible to search for files in Baloo using file creation dates and photo exposure times (Frameworks 5.70).
Bug fixes and performance and interface improvements
- It is now possible to connect to Samba shares in a workgroup with a space in its name (Dolphin 20.04.0).
- Error messages when adding a new printer are no longer truncated (print-manager 20.04.0).
- Gwenview no longer hangs when closed while viewing a folder with a large number of images (Gwenview 20.08.0).
- Gwenview is now more efficient when viewing and editing an image in a folder with a large number of images (Gwenview 20.08.0).
- Task Manager entries for pinned icons only no longer jump when launched if any of the pinned apps come from configuration file entries using the preferred scheme: // URL (Plasma 5.18.5).
- When using the plasma browser integration and a browser tab that plays some media crashes (or in some circumstances when it just closes), the media playback control is now properly released, reverting back to what it had as well control before, if necessary (already available).
- Hotplugging screens with a docking station in Wayland now work (Plasma 5.19.0).
- Fixed a memory leak in the DrKonqi crash reporting app that could also cause another crash in Wayland (Plasma 5.19.0).
- When using the Breeze theme, monochrome app icons in app title bars are now properly recolored to ensure contrast regardless of title bar color (Plasma 5.19.0).
- Exporting global keyboard shortcuts to a file now results in the file having the correct filename extension (Plasma 5.19.0).
- In the menu that allows you to download new relevant applications, Vokoscreen has been superseded by VokoscreenNG, as the former is no longer developed and has been completely superseded by the latter (Frameworks 5.70).
- Samba actions discovered in Dolphin server browser now show their pretty hostnames (Dolphin 20.04.0).
- Newly arrived notifications are now sorted in ascending order, which means you can keep reading the lowest notification when new ones arrive as they appear on top of it instead of pushing it up and appearing at the bottom of the stack (plasma 5.19.0).
- The network status notifications now replace the older ones, so you will never see a notification of "Network disconnected" and "Network connected" on the screen at the same time (Plasma 5.19.0).
- When an item in one of the "Get New [thing]" windows cannot be installed or uninstalled, there is now an error message visible to the user, so you can at least try to fix it yourself (Frameworks 5.70).
- KCacheGrind has a nice new icon (Frameworks 5.70).
When will all this come
From everything they have told us this week, the first to arrive will be KDE Applications 20.04.0, set of applications that will arrive on April 23, the same day of the launch of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa. V20.08 will arrive in mid-August, but the exact date is not yet known. On the other hand, the latest maintenance version of the graphical environment, Plasma 5.18.5 will arrive on May 5, and Frameworks 5.70 will do so on May 9.
We remember that in order to enjoy everything mentioned here as soon as it is available we have to have added the Backports repository from KDE or use an operating system with special repositories like KDE neon.