The first official beta of Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus arrives and with it, the set of flavors specially dedicated to this distribution. From the whole, we will discuss in this article about Ubuntu Budgie, Xubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME y Kubuntu for being those that present, at least in their change log, the most significant modifications on their basis.
With the Official launch set for April 13, 2017, this edition will only have support for 9 monthsThat is until July 2018. Users looking for an edition with a more durable medium should use an LTS edition such as 16.04.
Table of Contents
Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 Zesty Zapus beta 1
For those users who want to try a purely Gnome experience, Ubuntu GNOME is postulated as the ideal option. In addition to this interface, it includes your shell and most popular applications by default. Ubuntu 1 Zesty Zapus beta 17.04 under this flavor also includes:
- GNOME Shell 3.24 beta (3.23.90), with the latest build of the code which highlights a new feature aimed at reducing the bluish glow that the screen gives off, starting at sunset or when we program it, and thus reducing the visual fatigue caused by working for long hours in front of the PC .
- GNOME 3.24 beta-bit, which comes bundled with GNOME 3.22 and includes the GNOME Control Center, Settings Daemon, Photos, Videos (Totem), Maps, Music, and Disks applications. On the other hand, Files (Nautilus) and Terminal have not been updated.
- The team's indexing system has been encompassed in a sandbox.
- Some applications have been excluded from the default installation, such as: Brasero, Evolution, Seahorse or Xdiagnose.
Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus beta 1
Kubuntu is the flavor dedicated to KDE Plasma desktop enthusiasts. In addition to the default applications included in KDE 16.12.1 and Plasma 5.9.2, we met with:
- Interactive notifications on the desktop.
- Possibility of exchanging windows through the Task Manager with the key Meta + shortcut number.
- Support to pin multiple applications for each activity.
- look and feel improved to include a more compact design and Breeze-designed scroll bars.
- Incorporation of global menus.
- New network configuration module.
Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus beta 1
Minimal flavors have also been adapted to this new edition of Ubuntu, and the Xfce-based edition includes:
- Parole 0.9.0 with a new minimal mode and other changes.
- Thunder 1.6.11 with the correction of several bugs detected so far.
- Whisker Menu 2.1.0 with support for menu editing from context menu, actions and category hiding.
- The Xfce4 task manager allows you to click on the window to select the process.
Ubuntu Budgie 17.04 Zesty Zapus beta 1
After so much talking about Ubuntu Budgie, we could not leave it out of this article. This new flavor stands out for using the Budgie desktop, the window manager libmutter with a customizable dashboard and a notification center called Raven. It integrates a GNOME desktop with its main applications and, in addition:
- Includes new features imported from GNOME 3.24 beta bits.
- La Budgie's welcome app allows selection of the default internet browser.
- AppIndicator is included by default.
- Terminix is defined as the new default terminal emulator.
- Besides the official GNOME applications, budgie-remix includes others such as: Files, Software, Books, Documents, Eye of GNOME (image viewer), System Monitor, Maps, Weather, Calendar, Contacts and Disks.
After this brief review of the main distributions based on Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus beta 1, What other flavors do you know that we should have included in this article? What novelties would you highlight from them? We are waiting your comments.