We've already covered almost every release in the Groovy Gorilla family. We still need to publish an article about Xubuntu, but its developers still do not publish any official statement, so we will wait a little longer to make sure that what we publish is correct. What did arrive yesterday practically at the same time as the official flavors is one that wants to become so: Ubuntu Cinnamon 20.10, whose wallpaper you see above these lines.
Josuah Peisach talks about his news at the release note. Among the changes, there are at least two that were expected: it uses Linux 5.8 as the kernel, and they have updated the graphical environment to Cinnamon 4.6.6. Below you have a list of the most outstanding novelties that have arrived with Ubuntu Cinnamon 20.10 Groovy Gorilla, an operating system that continues with the "last name" of Remix.
Highlights of Ubuntu Cinnamon 20.10
- Linux 5.8.
- Supported for 9 months, until July 2021.
- New sounds. Or old, depending on how you look at it. Now it sounds like the official Ubuntu. Related to this, now you can hear how loud the volume is while changing it.
- They have fixed several bugs in the Kimmo theme. In the future, they will re-color the Yaru theme for their Cinnamon theme.
- They have added Rhythmbox again.
- Cinnamon-spices package removed.
- Cinnamon 4.6.6, with changes such as:
- The systray looks a lot neater / nice.
- Nemo has changed in its prioritization of content and speed / performance. The thumbnails have also changed, so it will now be faster to copy files such as movies from one folder to another.
- Monitor support has been improved. This includes:
- Fractional scaling.
- Update frequency.
- More monitor settings.
- App sizes / icons now adjust to screen size.
- There is more customization in the Cinnamon keyboard applet and screensaver.
- Support for eulogy has been fixed.
Peisach promises that there are many more pending improvements, but that we will have to wait until April 2021 to enjoy them. At the moment, what It is now available is Ubuntu Cinnamon 20.10 since this and this other link. It remains to be seen if in 21.04, whose adjective we already know will be "Hirsute", Ubuntu Cinnamon has already become an official flavor.